Thursday, 31 January 2013

Delphi 6 to XE3: SOAP and IP*Works SSL

Although we have not officially begun the migration phase yet from Delphi 6 to XE3, I have started installing our third-party component packs to ensure they are all working.

One of our products requires communication with the HMRC, the UK's tax man (equivalent of the IRS in the United States). This communication is done using SOAP, using a secure address. Originally, I had planned on writing this using the native SOAP components introduced in Delphi 6. However, the specification from HMRC showed that the SOAP envelope had to contain a SOAP header.

The HTTPRIO in D6 did not have a SOAPHeaders property, and so we made the decision (rightly or wrongly) to buy the IP*Works SSL component pack (version 6) from /n Software. Although expensive for the one component we needed it for (TipsSOAPS), this contained everything we needed and we were able to complete the project.

This component pack is now up to version 9, and the only upgrade path is for the prior version (i.e. version 8). Given that we have Version 6 which doesn't work in Delphi XE3, it looked like we would need to purchase it again. But at $899, I wanted to see if there was another way!

Now don't get me wrong, it is a sophisticated and well supported component suite and I have no issue with the company or the product itself. But I am not prepared to pay full price for a product I already bought once, when that price is about the same as I paid for Delphi.

My first thought was to try to the Delphi Edition of IP*Works that is available to registered users of Delphi XE3. So I downloaded and installed it. I had a sneaking suspicion that this would not allow me to do what I needed, because there is a separate component pack for non-secure and secure communications. And indeed, the TipwSOAP component would not allow me to consume a web service over https:



Personally I think charging $899 to handle SSL URLs is a bit of a con.

So, knowing that Delphi introduced support for SOAP headers in Delphi 7, I knew that the only reason we had bought this product in the first place was no longer a problem. So I set about writing a prototype to see if I could implement the same functionality using native Delphi components.

And I have! So +1 for Delphi XE3. I just saved the company $899, and shed another third-party component pack at the same time (and that makes me very happy).

I should also point out that this is the first time I have really, properly used a Delphi IDE other than Delphi 6, and it was an huge pleasure. Very fast and productive. So far, so good!
Post a Comment